Cisco IP Communicator 7.0
Cisco® Unified Communications solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks, enabling easy collaboration every time, from any workspace.
Cisco IP Communicator (Figure 1) is a Microsoft Windows-based soft phone application that delivers enhanced telephony support through personal computers. It is easy to deploy and includes some of the latest technology and advancements available for IP communications today. This application gives computers the functions of IP phones, enabling high-quality voice calls on the road, in the office, or from wherever users have access to the corporate network.
Figure 1. Cisco IP Communicator
Cisco IP Communicator is designed for users who require a supplemental telephone when away from their deskphone, traveling, or telecommuting. When using Cisco IP Communicator remotely, you are not just taking your office phone extension with you: you continue to have access to the same familiar phone and video telephony services that you have in the office. This advantage boosts business collaboration and responsiveness and helps organizations keep pace with today's mobile business environment.
Cisco IP Communicator Features
Cisco IP Communicator is intuitively designed and easy to use, and delivers convenient access to a broad range of features:
• Eight line keys: These keys provide telephone lines and direct access to telephony features.
• Five soft keys: These keys dynamically give users call-feature options.
• Messages: This key provides direct access to voicemail messages.
• Directories: Cisco IP Communicator identifies incoming calls and messages and categorizes them on the screen, allowing users to return calls quickly and effectively using direct dial-back capability. The corporate directory integrates with the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol Version 3 (LDAP3) standard directory.
• Settings: This key allows users to select from a large number of ringer sounds and background images.
• Services: Cisco IP Communicator allows users to quickly access diverse information such as weather, stocks, quote of the day, or any other Web-based information. The phone uses XML to provide a portal to an ever-growing world of features and information.
• Help: The online Help feature gives users information about the phone keys, buttons, and features.
Cisco IP Communicator Modes
• Cisco IP Communicator offers handset, headset, and high-quality speakerphone modes.
• Headset mode: In this mode, Cisco IP Communicator offers the highest-quality voice communications capabilities.
• Handset mode: Cisco IP Communicator interoperates with third-party USB telephony handsets.
• Speakerphone mode: Cisco IP Communicator converts a computer into a full-duplex, hands-free speakerphone.
Cisco IP Communicator is a dynamic solution that is designed to grow with new system capabilities. System administrators can provision Cisco IP Communicator as they would any other Cisco Unified IP Phone, greatly simplifying IP phone management. Numerous advanced call features are currently available depending on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager system and setup, including:
• Call Recording - Offers a more efficient method to record calls*
• Silent Monitoring- Uses a more efficient method to observe call center agents*
• Support for multiple lines and directory numbers
• Configurable speed dial
• Calling name and number display
• Call Waiting
• Call Forward
• Call Transfer
• Three-Way Calling (conference)
• Call Park
• Call Pickup
• Extension Mobility
• Message waiting indicator
• iDivert, to divert calls to voicemail
• Meet Me conferencing
• Group Pickup
• Do Not Disturb*
• Mobility soft key*
* Requires Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1.3 or later
Cisco IP Communicator offers premium audio quality. Examples of audio features include:
• Audio tuning wizard
• Adaptive jitter buffer
• Acoustic echo cancellation
• Noise suppression
• Voice activity detection
• Packet-loss concealment
• Automatic gain control
• Microsoft Windows generic quality-of-service (GQoS) support
• IP Precedence (differentiated services code point [DSCP]) audio priority
Additional Cisco IP Communicator Features
• More than 24 user-adjustable ring tones
• Cisco Skinny Call Control Protocol (SCCP) or Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)*
• Autodetection of Cisco VPN Client 5.0.01.0600 or later
• Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
• Signaling authentication through transport layer security (TLS)
• Interoperability with Cisco Unified Video Advantage 2.1 or later for desktop video calls
• USB Human Interface Device (HID) support, based on telephony device page (0x0B) and supporting key-pad, hook-switch, and mute functions**
• Drag-and-drop dialing
• Copy-and-paste dialing
• Alphanumeric translation
• Nonintrusive call notification
• Keyboard shortcuts
• Non-MAC-based device name for easy PC refreshes*
• Multi-language support: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English (US), French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Brazilian), Russian, Spanish, and Swedish